January 19, 2018
Sermon Discussion Questions: Don’t Be Ensnared
The following outline and discussion questions have been prepared to accompany the sermon on January 20/21, “Don’t Be Ensnared” (Deuteronomy 12:29–31). The questions can be used for discussion in small groups or for personal reflection.
- God’s Judgment (v. 29)
- God’s Warning (vv. 30–31)
- God’s Reason (v. 31)
Main Point: Don’t follow the path of judgment. The logic for the three points is as follows: “When this happens (point 1), don’t do this (point 2), because of this (point 3).”
- What is the timeframe that Moses gives in verse 29? That is, what does he have in mind for “when” the warning of verses 30–31 will be needed?
- Explain the warning found in verses 30–31. What is the process leading to false worship? What is at stake?
- What is the rationale for why the Israelites must not partake in the false worship practices of other nations and their false gods?
- What are the similarities between child sacrifice in the past and abortion in the present?
- Describe your experience with sanctity of life and the issue of abortion. How have you engaged with this topic in the past? What might change after today?
- Oppression and abuse happen when we use people to get things we love rather than using things to love people.
- Look at your life and see if you are using the people in your life to get the things that you love, or if you are using the things in your life to love other people.
Pray for a grace to repent, pray, and act for the sake of God’s glory in the sanctity of human life.